In my previous post, I explained how we could receive and manage emails within Dynamics 365 using a shared mailbox linked to a queue. When emails are received from unknown senders, by default, a new contact gets created. Unknow means that there is not a record in the system with the same email address.
“Contact“ is probably the most important entity/table in Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Dataverse. It can represent a prospect, a customer, an individual that has some relationship with your business, etc. A good practice is to keep your contacts data as clean as possible, which involves having just the records you need.
Therefore, we may don’t want this behaviour, the system creating contacts for unknown senders, and we can disable it, which can be done using a few options:
- Personal Options => Email => Automatically create records => Untick the Create option. Notice this will only change this behaviour for the current user.
- update the previous personal settings for all users using the web API or a utility like XrmToolBox User Settings Utility:
- or if you want to disable it for all our users and you don’t want them to have the previous personal setting available, you can use the organisation setting AutoCreateContactOnPromote:
We can easily change this organisation setting to false using one of these community tools:
Once this is changed to false, no contact will be created for unknown senders and they will look like “unresolved“:
Please notice this was the system information at the time I was writting this post:
- Environment with Customer Service and Sales Enterprise Dynamics 365 apps enabled
- 2020 release wave 2 enabled
- Server version: 9.1.0000.25547
- Client version: 1.4.1809-2011.1